A specific cooperation process between Asia and Europe in the field of education – and more specifically higher education – has been set up in the context of the Asia-Europe Meeting. During the Asia-Europe Meeting of Ministers of Education held in Kuala Lumpur in 2013, the Wallonia-Brussels Federation announced it would participate in the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme as of 2014.
DUO/Wallonia-Brussels has been established at the Wallonia-Brussels Federation in order to promote “paired exchanges” between professors from Wallonia-Brussels HEIs and Asian ones. Mobility must be carried out over a period of 1 to 3 months and by "pair", i.e. a professor/researcher from an FW-B institution goes to an Asian partner institution and vice versa. Candidates must therefore be from the same institution, but not from the same department.
Generally, the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme (dating from 2011) aims at:
- Promoting balanced mobility of higher education professors between the two regions;
- Setting up regular exchange programmes between HEIs;
- Reinforcing cooperation and dialogue across both regions.
The list of partner countries is: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
What kind of financial support?
For the academic year 2018-2019, the DUO Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels grants are awarded to a pair of professors for a project that should take place between August 2018 and August 2019.
The duration and the amount of the grants enter these conditions:
01/ Duration of stay
The duration of the exchange should be of at least one month (although the month can be divided in 2x15 days with a pause in between) and of maximum three months.
02/ Amount of the scholarship
The amount of the grant awarded to the pair of professors is 5,000€ per month for the two professors (or a total amount of 15,000€ for a three-month exchange for the pair). This amount includes expenses linked to the exchange.
How to introduce an application?
The institution belonging to the FW-B applies for both partner institutions. In each higher education institution, a contact person must be clearly identified. The person responsible for the application is the one belonging to the Belgian institution and should ideally be the institution’s representative for international relations. This person is responsible for coordinating the exchange and for sending a complete application, including the documents for both applicants.
01/ Documents to enclose
Documents have to be sent in ONE single PDF document:
- The completed 2018 application form for the DUO/Wallonia-Brussels Fellowship Programme. The application form must be typewritten and submitted in PDF format;
- A copy of the academic cooperation agreement between paired institutions or the declaration of intent to sign one in the two following years;
- The passport copies of the two applicants;
- The résumé of both applicants;
- A description of the project undertaken during the exchange, or the description of the research conducted by the applicants (with detailed duration of the exchange). There is no text limit for the description.
02/ Eligibility criteria
The applicants must meet ALL eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be member of the academic or scientific staff of an institution of a Wallonia-Brussels HEI or an Asian HEI (i.e. they must be remunerated by the HEI and it must be their main occupation). However, the following groups are not entitled for a fellowship:
- Students and PhD students;
- Professors emeritus, honorary professors;
- Temporary staff;
- Teaching assistants;
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must be recognised/accredited by the competent authorities in the field of higher education;
- The Asian institution must be located in one of the following countries : Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam;
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must signed a cooperation agreement or must have expressed the intention to sign one in the two following years;
- The applicants who already begun the exchange before the application period of the 2018 DUO-Wallonia/Brussels programme do not qualify for the grant;
- According to the framework established by ASEM-DUO, the citizenship of the professors is not a criterion for eligibility;
- The fellowship programme is open to all disciplines.
03/ Selection criteria
ARES selects beneficiaries of the DUO-Wallonia/Brussels Fellowship programme based on the following criteria:
- The scientific and academic excellence of the applicants;
- The scientific and academic excellence of the submitted project;
- The expected impact of the grant on the work and professional career of the applicant;
- The expected impact of the grant in the Asia-Europe dialogue;
- The expected impact of the grant on the applicant’s institution;
- The rationale for the stay duration;
- The applicant's knowledge of languages;
- The strength of bilateral relations between an Asian institution and an institution of the FW-B;
- The relevance of financial support for the applicants.
04/ Application form
Applications must be submitted on the date mentionned in the documents. No applicants will be accepted beyond the deadline of 20 April 2018:
> Download the call for applications for a ASEM-DUO scholarship (8 pages - 582 kb - PDF)
> Download the application form for a ASEM-DUO scholarship (9 pages - 62 kb - Word)
After the exchange?
A mission report must be sent not later than two months after the end of the exchange. The report must, in 2 to 4 pages, present the mission, the objectives reached through the programme, some guidelines for improvement, etc. The last instalment is paid after both professors have submitted a joint mission report (maximum 4 pages).