Call for proposals for long-term PSR 2020
The terms of reference for the long-term PSR were elaborated by DGD regarding the following 2 themes:
- Supporting human rights based approach to development;
- Climate and security: challenges and opportunities for the Belgian Development Cooperation.
01/ Financial support
The available budget for this call is € 386.496.
A daily fee of € 1.000 all-inclusive is agreed upon. The PSR funding system is based on the daily fee, multiplied by the number of days which are deemed necessary for the implementation of the project. The number of days are to be explicitly justified in the project proposal on the basis of the plan of action and research methodology, and also need to be approved formally by DGD.
All-inclusive means that the implementing HEI receives the calculated budget (daily fee*number of days), from which all corresponding costs need to be paid: salaries, operational costs, mission related costs, possible institutional overhead, etc.
Researchers of FWB Belgian HEIs, both universities and university colleges, are eligible to submit for this call. The team leader is member of a FWB institution. The collaboration with non-members of FWB is permit within the limit of 25% of the budget.
The proposal must meet the application and submission requirements as described in section 4.
DGD is responsible for the selection of the proposals, whereby the quality of the intended output and the intended impact on development cooperation are the main objectives.
Selection criteria include:
- The expertise and previous experiences;
- The proposed approach, both research methodology and plan of collaboration with DGD.
Collaborations are encouraged if they are an added value for the intended quality of the PSR:
- Interuniversity partnerships within Belgium;
- Links with university partners from the South;
- Collaborations with other partners of the Belgian development cooperation;
- Cooperation within global networks.
Cooperation between PSR and non-university centres and networks is also encouraged in case it adds on quality. Collaborations are taken into account by DGD in case 2 projects are equally ranked.
Selection will be done before 2 March 2020. DGD will justify the reasons for selection and non-selection.
Communication of selection will be done by ARES.
04/ Application and submissions modalities
Proposals are elaborated in English and need to be presented in the provided format (see "Annexes"). The proposal has to elaborate on:
- The presentation of the research team, and, in case of a consortium, the constituent parties (members, relevant expertise);
- The plan of action and the research methodology (objectives, methodology, results, products);
- The strategy for uptake and outreach (practical applications for DGD and use by third parties);
- The collaborations foreseen with other parties (university partners from the South, other partners of the Belgian Development Cooperation, global networks, non-university centres and networks);
- The budget.
Support during the formulation
For each theme, one responsible at DGD is appointed. This person was responsible for the preparation of the terms of reference and organizes the selection committee that assigns the proposals. The person responsible also supervises the execution (contacts with the researchers, technical guidance committee, and organization of activities). This person is also responsible for quality control of the process and the products.
For more information, please contact:
An information session for interested researchers will be organised on 17 January 2020, 14h-16h, at the offices of DGD. The contact persons at DGD will present their research topic and will give more information on the Terms of References during these session to interested academics, followed by a Q&A session.
Intention is to allow interested academics to get a good understanding of the specific demands from the government, in order to know whether they can offer what is needed and in order to be better informed to formulate a tailor made proposal.
The participation is free, but the subscription is mandatory:
The deadline for submission is 14 February 2020, 17.00.
The proposals are to be sent by mail to the programme manager of ARES:
|Launch call for proposals by ARES||20 December 2019|
|Information session at DGD||17 January 2020, 2pm-4pm|
|Deadline for submission at ARES||14 February 2020|
|Selection of proposals by DGD||2 March 2020|
|Communication of selection results||2 March 2020|
|Start of the PSR||2 March 2020|